This has been my go-to pancake recipe for weekends over the past year – they are the best sweet gluten free pancake I have tried so far. They are so quick and easy, and so delicious – fluffy on the inside like an American pancake, with caramelised sweet bananas and with a slightly wholemeal/nutty taste to them. They’re also dairy free and refined sugar free so you don’t have to feel too guilty. My boyfriend felt tricked when I told him they were vegan haha, because he thought they tasted so amazing!
The recipe is adapted from goop and I usually make this for two of us when we’re super hungry!
1 1/4 cups rice milk (feel free to swop for cows/almond/soy, but rice milk is naturally quite sweet)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional), plus more for serving
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup gluten free white flour (or regular flour if you’re not gluten free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
1. Mix all the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a slightly bigger bowl.
3. Add the wet to the dry and stir just enough to combine – be careful not to over-mix (that’s how you get tough pancakes).
4. Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
5. Ladle as many pancakes as possible onto your pan
6. Place a few slices of banana on top of each pancake. Cook for about a minute and a half on the first side or until the surface is covered with small bubbles and the underside is nicely browned.
7. Flip and cook for about a minute on the second side. Repeat the process until you run out of batter.
8. Serve stacked high with plenty of maple syrup. Feel free add anything you want like blueberries/nuts/more bananas but I usually eat them on their own with maple syrup, they are so delicious! Enjoy! x