16 In Life/ LIFESTYLE/ UK

Apple Picking

My family love traditions. We are basically creatures of habit – we have been to the same house on holiday for the past 14 years, we have the same cereal on our birthdays every year, play the same board game every Christmas (Cranium anyone?!). Apple picking is our Autumn tradition and has been going strong for almost 10 years now. Here are 2009, 2012, and 2013 on the blog.

My grandparents live in remote countryside in Kent and it looks so beautiful this time of year. Actually scrap that, every time of year. It was the perfect mix of working hard at picking, chopping, and squashing apples to make juice (and eventually cider) and chatting, eating THE most delicious spread for lunch made by my Granny, and coffee and cake breaks. After consuming about 4 different types of cakes each, we went on a brisk walk before the drive back to London. The air was warm and damp as the dew started to set in, and we came across 3 beautiful horses. In my eagerness to get good photos, I stood too close to them and ended up with red swollen eyes for the next 16 hours, darn allergies.

We now have too many apples than we know what to do with. As I’m writing this on Sunday night, I’m off to make an apple crumble now. I hope you enjoyed browsing the photos.

x

Saskia
    October 2, 2014 at 9:17 am

This is such a great family tradition – I wish I had traditions like this with my family! One day I hope to grow my own apple tree so that I can pick apples off it and make a crumble.

Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

Fran
    October 2, 2014 at 10:44 am

Looks like you had a great time – I would love to go apple picking, it looks like a lot of fun! Besides apple crumble, do you have any other plans for your apples?

scrimpingtosplash.co.uk

Polly Rowan
    October 2, 2014 at 11:38 am

It was lovely thanks! I've stewed quite a few with cinnamon to have on porridge and yogurt. I'm going to make a Chocolate Apple Betty which you seriously have to make! Best pudding ever: http://blessnet.eu/resources/chocolate-apple-betty/

Polly Rowan
    October 2, 2014 at 11:39 am

That sounds perfect Saskia! There's nothing like picking fruit straight off the tree to eat rather than buying it from the supermarket.
    Also it's never too late to start a family tradition πŸ˜‰ give it a go!

Lauren Hairston
    October 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm

What a lovely day! I totally understand the power of ritual–I like returning to the same places year after year, too. I've never been to Kent, though. It looks magnificent.

We used to go apple picking with my grandparents; I'd love to be able to do that this year!

Becky : : accooohtrements blog
    October 2, 2014 at 1:52 pm

this sounds like the most perfect day! i've never been fruit picking but it's been on my list for the longest time…that makes it worse doesn't it?!

thanks for the book recommendation, i love your blog!

becky,

accooohtrements.wordpress.com

Chiara Pannozzo
    October 2, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I love Cranium, it's so much fun! My crowd are suckers for tradition too, which I love.

Angelica P
    October 2, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Traditions become so special within families, I know my own family has our very particular ways that we do things sometimes. I really enjoyed looking at your photos – thanks for sharing them! x

Angelica // One Little Vice

Lynne
    October 2, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I love this tradition! I look forward to this blog post every year!

Polly Rowan
    October 3, 2014 at 7:46 am

You sort of know you're going to have a good time if you go back to the same place don't you! Ahh you should bring back the tradition πŸ˜‰

Polly Rowan
    October 3, 2014 at 7:47 am

Thanks Becky! You should give it a go if you can

Polly Rowan
    October 3, 2014 at 7:48 am

Ah glad it's not just my family who love it. Yes traditions are the best πŸ™‚

Polly Rowan
    October 3, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thanks for dropping by Angelica! Glad you enjoyed the photos x

Tamzin Pettitt
    October 3, 2014 at 8:29 am

Love this! I wanna go apple picking, I would also like a slice of that cake it looks delicious!! Love your photos : )

Polly Rowan
    October 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thanks Tamzin! It was apple cake (very fitting) and was apparently delicious! It's a Sarah Raven recipe: http://www.sarahraven.com/articles/mary_stearns_apple_cake.htm

Polly Rowan
    October 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Lynne, that's so sweet! I love this tradition too πŸ™‚